2.19.2010

Butterflies, Tadpoles and Buds

Treebeard and I explored the Sand Banks today. It's an area in the western part of the county near the Chowan River. Sadly, it is also one of the sites the Navy is considering for an outlying landing field. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't get selected...

Winter's grip has loosened up a bit, at least for the time being. Our highs today and this weekend are expected to be in the 50s with plenty of sunshine. It's about time -- this has been a cold winter.

Some things we saw today...

 
A question mark (Polygonia interrogationis), one of the anglewing butterflies.

 
A good-sized tadpole enjoying some sunshine. I'm not sure which species of frog this is.

 
And a tight little highbush blueberry bud, waiting...
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Oh my gosh, we're months away from any of these sights....

Anonymous said...

Swampy-Once again you remind to use my internal zoom lens to look for the signs of spring. We focus so much on the big picture that we don't see the little signs of hope. Maineiac

swamp4me said...

Lynne,
Things are usually a little farther along down here by this time. We're really having to look for signs of spring this year!

Maineiac,
Hey, girl. I was just thinking about you! Those little signs are the ones I live for this time of year. The grays and browns are getting old and I want to see some real green...

ksdoolittle said...

That's a beautiful capture of the Question Mark. Won't be long before we'll be seeing similar sights in our neck of the woods.