6.25.2009

Snake Crossing

 
Posted by Picasa


When patrolling the swamp I always keep an eye out for pedestrians. This particular one took its own sweet time crossing the road but I certainly didn't mind. I think rattlesnakes are quite beautiful and I enjoyed having the opportunity to watch it for a minute or two.

Click to enlarge the photo and see if you can spot the bear tracks...

*******************************************************************************
a little post script...

As Hugh pointed out in the comments section, this snake had quite a rattle:
 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Carol said...

I like to admire them from afar. Non poisonous a bit closer.
Nice picture.

www.riverwildlife.blogspot.com

Hugh Griffith said...

Yes, it's a nice picture. Quite a rattle, too.

Sally said...

Yes, best not to hurry a rattlesnake... GREAT photo!

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Ooh! Ooh! I think I see bear tracks in the upper left corner of the photo. Very cool! And very cool snake, as well. Do rattlers act as if they were invulnerable and just amble about at their own chosen speed? That's what our porcupines do, and that's why we see them squashed on the road.

swamp4me said...

Carol,
I find it is always best to respect the personal space of any snake. Rattlesnakes are fairly laid back as long as you don't get too close.

Hugh,
The rattle was in great shape. It made me smile to see the way the snake held it as he moved through the grass. It never once touched the ground.

Sally,
Thanks! And no, I was not going to hurry this fellow.

woodswalker,
Look up above the rattle and to the right -- just past that piece of grass that sticks out...

R.Powers said...

Nice one! I haven't seen one all summer.

Jenn said...

"Rattlesnakes are fairly laid back as long as you don't get too close."

The only rattler that might not respect this rule of thumb is the Mohave. They are very... assertive creatures.

Only snake I'm personally afraid of encountering out there. (Here being Arizona)

swamp4me said...

FC,
I wish I could have gotten a closer shot. This was a really, really pretty snake.

Jenn,
Canebrake (aka Timber) is the only rattler we have in the immediate area and one of the only rattlers I am personally familiar with. Mohave would give me pause, too. ;)