5.13.2009

Chillin' in the Morning Dew

The thermometer registered a chilly 45F here this morning and a heavy dew covered nearly every surface. The fun thing about a cool night coupled with all the dew is the opportunity to find critters that the sun hasn't touched yet. Since Treebeard and I knew we were going to be busy today we opted to take just a little while this morning to amble around the property and see what might be about.

We spotted what looked to be a buckeye butterfly snoozing on a primrose plant.
It never even twitched an antenna as we observed it.
In the side yard this eastern pond hawk was waiting for the sun to peek over the treeline and dry her out. Dragonflies in suspended animation are always a treat.
When we strolled out along the edge of our woods we spotted this robber fly sitting atop a blade of microstegium. Look carefully at its left eye and you will note a drop of dew clinging like a tear. Perhaps it was sad that it had chosen to spend the night on such a nasty invasive plant ;)
Posted by Picasa
We saw other things but I will have to share them with you tomorrow. Right now I am going to go downstairs and plop into my recliner. Treebeard and I worked all day around the "yard" and garden and both of us are pooped.
(Betcha I'll be napping in about 10 minutes!)

5 comments:

Jacqueline Donnelly said...

Those dewy photos are absolutely spectacular!!! Your "weeping" fly would surely win any photo contest you'd enter. Thanks for taking us along on your morning walk.

denapple said...

Ah, so that's what it takes to make a bug sit still and be photographed. Lots of dew. Does that come in a spray bottle for those days when there is no dew?

swamp4me said...

woodswalker,
I'm glad you like the photos. Since I don't consider myself a photographer so I don't enter contests, but thanks for the compliment!!

denapple,
Why can't we come up with a product that will temporarily immobilize an insect in a natural position with full color? We could call it Freeze Frame ;)

Ellen Rathbone said...

Delightful pics!

The Ladybug Project says to stick insects in the freezer for 30 sec. to slow 'em down enough to photograph. A cooler will also work, but you have to leave them in a lot longer.

Either way, you have to catch the buggers first!

swamp4me said...

NatureGirl,
We use the refrigerator/freezer trick to get ID photos but the insects never look quite natural and it can even change the eye color in some species. So, I long for some magic fix that will temporarily render the subject immobile just long enough for the s*l*o*w focus of my camera ;)