4.18.2007

Take a Peek

Here you go, your opportunity to look inside a bald hornet's nest without getting stung. The tennis ball-sized nest was in a bush growing on a stump out on the millpond. I stuck the camera under the opening and pushed the button. It was probably a good thing that the queen hornet wasn't home.

I don't know if the queen will stay with this nest but I plan on checking it in a week or so to see if she has added to her castle. Of course, if she has, and if her first offspring have matured, I doubt I will be getting anymore interior shots :)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

R.Powers said...

Hornets ...hmmm. Be careful, don't do anything ...well, you know.

Cathy said...

I'll tell you what - I clicked again and that is a fine photo. You've got more backbone than I. Is 'tennis ball' size typical for the bald hornet or will this thing expand as the colony grows?

swamp4me said...

Now FC, you know I would never do anything foolish ;)

Cathy,
It will get MUCH bigger if the queen doesn't abandon it. I have seen some that are as big as basketballs. I'll try to find a photo of one in a more advanced state than this one. Trust me, if I had thought that there were more than one or two hornets in that nest I would have never taken the photo! Hornets are very protective of their nests.

Anonymous said...

All I have to do is get close to a nest and they come for me. I had one at Roundrock that was the size of a basketball. The branch it was hanging from had broken in a storm and the hornets were angry: sting on my back.

swamp4me said...

Pablo,
I feel your pain - stings by any of the paper wasps are quite painful. I have had experience :)

Anonymous said...

i didn't think the queen ever got to leave the, ehem, domestic sphere--i thought she had to stay home and give birth, like, every .23 seconds . . .