4.21.2007

Dragonfly


Generally I am a believer that we humans should not interfere with the natural processes around us - for example, I don't believe we should "save" every animal that's in distress (unless that "distress" is a result of our actions). Some people find this hard to take and think it is cruel. I respectfully disagree. Normally I let nature take its course because I know that nothing is wasted in nature. Today, however, I interfered with the dance of life and death on the pond. The common baskettail pictured above was struggling on the water's surface. It had fallen in and become trapped by the surface tension of the water. While I know that it would have made a tasty treat for a hungry fish or a daring bird, I just couldn't stand to see it struggling. I plucked it out of the water and let it rest on my hand as it shook its wings free of water and warmed up. Hope that hungry fish isn't too hungry...
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Softie :0)

You know Swampy? It's not the death that bothers me. It's the suffering. You did the right thing and if you didn't - I'm giving you absolution.
It looks so contented there - clinging to its oh-so-human perch.

swamp4me said...

Cathy,
It's the struggling that gets to me as well.

R.Powers said...

Me too. Once in a while I break my noninterference rule. It's usually the struggle that tips me.

Anonymous said...

I figure that all living beings are on a similar path in life. Sometimes, something bad happens and there is no one there to save another living creature, animal or human. Other times, we luck out and and help comes our way. If a human were drowning, I would try to save him or her. Same with an animal or an insect. As we are animals also, I don't see the problem with this. We *are* a part of nature when we are simply trying to live within it and not dominate it. Are we to assume that pre-industrial humans never helped their animal "neighbors" when they were in trouble? I think that's unlikely. - Kathy in Kentucky

Anonymous said...

fascinating post-- i wonder what was going on in your like at that moment to make you feel such empathy?

btw--if and when you ever spot that i can't seem to break free from the surface tension, please, by all means, interfere . . .