6.20.2005

Weekend Wonders

A few of the carnivorous plants we saw when we went to visit our son this weekend down in the southern coastal plain...



Pink Sundew, Drosera capillaris, attracts and captures insects with its leaves.



The trap of a Venus Flytrap, Dionaea muscipula.



The flowers of the Venus Flytrap. Due to the cool spring most of the plants were about 9 days behind in flowering. If it had been a typical spring we would have missed seeing these in bloom.



Purple Pitcher-plant, Sarracenia purpurea or Sarrancenia purpurea ssp. venosa, I'm not sure which one. Insects check in, but they can't check out.




A stand of Yellow Pitcher-plant, Sarracenia flava. I love the little "umbrellas" over the pitchers.


A little closer view of the flower (left) and pitcher of the yellow pitcher-plant. My son said the flowers are bright yellow when they first bloom.



A little surprise inside one of the pitchers. Good thing this pitcher was bent over -- otherwise, the frog may have found itself being the main course of the plant's dinner! This frog appeared to be a squirrel treefrog, Hyla squirella, but I didn't catch him for a closer look so I am not absolutely sure.

Many thanks to our son for a wonderful Father's Day weekend!

5 comments:

Rurality said...

Nice! Have seen a few of these type things around Mobile AL - they are disappearing fast though.

If you lived there it would be BigThings I suppose! :)

SquirrleyMojo said...

i had no idea these plants were native to the carolinas--how disappointing that i didn't see one. what would i do with out you??

swamp4me said...

SQMojo, on your next trip to NC you'll have to go a little bit further south and check out Carolina Beach State Park or go inland to Brunswick County and take a walk in Green Swamp -- the Nature Conservancy owns some land there. Or you could cruise over to Columbus County and check out Lake Waccama State Park.

Venus flytraps are native to southeastern NC (and a little tiny bit of northeastern SC). As a matter of fact, it is the only place in the world that they occur naturally.

Sundews and pitcher plants are quite as picky :)

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Those are amazing. With my "love" for bugs, I'd like to fill my yard with those suckers but something makes me think they would attract more than they consume.

Rurality said...

Ugh, I meant BOGthings, d'oh!