3.09.2005

A Cautionary Tale

If only... Posted by Hello


I looked out my window this morning and there, not 15 feet away, sat this hawk. A golden opportunity for a picture, right? Wrong. I knew I wouldn't be able to sneak out the back door and around the side of the house to get a clear view so I just took the picture through the window -- the dirty window pane and the dirty screen foiled me. And just whose fault is it that the window was so dirty?? Mine. As soon as I get the chance I'm going to wash that window, inside and out, and take down the screen. I've seen this hawk use this particular perch more than once so maybe I will be granted a second chance...

As close as I can tell, my visitor appears to be an immature red-shouldered hawk. But, I'm not too great with immature birds, so it could be a red-tailed instead. If only that window had been clean, I could have a better look at the field markings.

2 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I have a similar problem at the cottage. There is a hummer feeder right by a dirty window -- one that refuses to open and, therefore, won't ever be cleaned. Using auto focus, I can't get any picture because the camera wants to focus on the dirt. Using manual focus, I can get dirty pictures -- so to speak.

There are a lot of hawks that sit in the treetops or soar above the teetops on the highway into this town, but I don't know one from another. I find them quite marvellous regardless.

I must remember to come back to see the photo as it isn't showing up for me just yet.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

From the hawk: "Just who you callin' immature?? Well, yo momma!"

No need for applause, just throw money.